Monday, March 28, 2011

A Look into The Past

Tonight I was with my Oma (who has now become my neighbor). I asked her if she can share a few of her amazing recipes with me. She referred me to three 30 year old cookbooks. They all looked to be time-tested classic church cookbooks. The first one I opened and read the forward and was quite startled to see the words of---my Mother? A young twenty something year old pastor's wife compiling all those classic recipes that I am wanting to re-visit today. Thanks Mom!

My first impression of these great books, seeing the entries from so many other people I still know today: I am so reminded of how food keeps people together. I hope that through this meager blog I can follow in my Mom's footsteps to try and find a way to keep a dialogue going about food. From old-coil books to a modern blog--same same. I am going to post these most cherished and classic of the classic recipes as I bring them back to life in my own kitchen.

1 comment:

MARohr said...

I am glad you came across these cookbooks, they were compiled by teams of women who shared their best and favorite recipes. Your blog made me reflect on those times when we all brought our best recipes together and produced those cookbooks. Although I may have lost touch with many of the contributors, the recipes still have a way of bringing us together whenever I use them.