Thursday, March 10, 2011

Buckwheat Pancakes

My Husb and I were trekking in Nepal about 2 years ago. Very hard but one of the best experiences of my life. The day we reached our highest point,just a few KM from the Tibetan border, we sat in a cosy little ramshackle house and devoured some hearty buckwheat pancakes, whilst taking in the unobstructed view of Annapurna II.

Recently I picked up some buckwheat flour to try and re-live the experience. It worked! I could taste the nepal/tibet border. It tasted smokey, old fashioned, and somehow just plain whole.

Buckwheat is a "happy food" as it increases seratonin levels. Maybe that's why I was so dang happy while trekking in Nepal.

Buckwheat Pancakes:
2 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 cups milk
1/2 ts salt
1 ts baking powder
optional: flax seed; chopped apple; walnut meal; or chopped bananas
mix together.
fry on a hot frying pan in copeous amounts of vegetable oil or butter. I use sunflower oil.

enjoy with yogurt, syrup, and the works...

No comments: