Thursday, January 13, 2011

A new year for yummy food.

The new year is a good time for everyone to feel like there is a fresh start. I am happy to say I'm starting the year off with some big changes. My biggest goal this year is to eliminate stress from my life as much as possible. I am going to spend more time moseying around the house in cosey clothes relaxing with tea and playing with my son. I am going to putter around the kitchen and keep my family satiated with nutritious, delicious, cheap food.

Here's my newest recipe: smokey sweet potato stew. This week I had the sniffles and this spicey stew was good for my heart and soul (not to mention my sinuses)

Broth:
2 cups veg. stalk
3 tb. tahini
1 tb. peanut butter
1/4 cup liquid tomatoes
salt/pepper to taste
1 heaping ts hungarian peprika
-For some heat, add a whole chipotle pepper
1/4 ts tumeric

Solids:
1/3 cup peanuts
1, 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1,1/2 cup peeled and chopped swt. potato
3/4 cup dry lentils, rinsed/drained
2 tb oil,
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 ts fresh minced ginger

How to: Broth
If necc. make stalk.
When it is boiling, turn it down to simmer. Add tahini, peanut butter, and tomato sauce/paste.

Meanwhile, Solids:
In a large deep frying pan, heat oil. Add garlic and ginger. Add onions and stir until soft. Add cabbage and lentils and peanuts and stir on medium heat until cabbage is soft. Add swt. pots.

Add solids to broth. Simmer until swt. pots are soft.

Serve with a dallop of yogurt or sour cream. Fresh bread or naan makes an excellent side. Garnish with cilantro for a classy touch.

and, enjoy!

No comments: