Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sweet Chili Chicken (or Tofu) - the easy version

My meals have been less than inspiring over the past couple of weeks. I am constantly feeling that life is always overtaking my best efforts, and no matter how hard I run to catch up - I'm never quite keeping up when it comes to keeping house and feeding my family and myself!!

So it stands to reason that sometimes I have to make something quick and easy. Here's one of my favourites lately. It's great with chicken, but you can always substitute tofu - I haven't tried it yet but I think extra firm would work the best. Someone try it and comment for me. :) I created this recipe from a few different ones I liked. Some use honey instead but I find the brown sugar makes it nice and caramel-sweet with that fiery spice behind it. Mmmmm.

Sweet Chili Chicken
  • 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
  • 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar (taste it - add more if you like it sweeter)
  • 1 Teaspoon lime juice
  • Chicken Breast or thigh pieces (or one block extra-firm tofu)
Directions
Mix Sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar together in bowl.

Add chicken or tofu and refrigerate for 2 hours

Cook in over at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (cover with foil until last 10 minutes). Don't overcook.

Alternatively, for a REALLY quick supper, just throw in a frying pan on medium-high. Or you can thread the chicken pieces with red/green peppers and onions on a kebab for the BBQ.
                                                                                                                                                          julie

No comments: